Hook & Ladder
Hook & Ladder Company No. 1 Hook and Ladder Company No. 1 was the first company in the Islip Fire Department. It was organized in 1880 and incorporated along with the Islip Fire Brigade in 1881. The companies first hook & ladder apparatus was purchased from F. W. Munckelwitz of Sayville at a cost of $170.00 and delivered to its newly constructed truck house on May 31, 1880. Its ladder and bucket were painted black, and the running gear and frame red, and it was striped with gold. The two-story truck house was constructed at a cost of $252.00.The newly formed Islip Fire Brigade answered its first fire alarm at an unoccupied shanty on November 3, 1880. In February 1918 the Department's Board of Directors signed a contract for a Robinson Motor Hook and Ladder truck with Chemical Tank. Although the delivery was scheduled for that August the truck was delayed because material had been frozen. The apparatus was finally shipped on March 17, 1919. Hook & Ladder Company acquired new Maxim truck in 1937 and 75-foot Pitman snorkel joined the fleet in 1964. A city service truck was added in 1976 and the snorkel was replaced by a 100-foot Grumman Aerialcat rear-mount tower ladder in 1985. Today Hook & Ladder Company No. 1 is authorized 48 members and operates two trucks.
The apparatus currently assigned to Hook and Ladder Company No. 1 includes a 2010 Ferrara Inferno low profile equipped with a 77-foot heavy aerial ladder designated as 3-4-5 which operates from Fire Headquarters. A 75-foot LTI mid-mount Tower Ladder, which is mounted on a Spartan Gladiator chassis was delivered in November 1998 and entered service in February 1999. It is designated as 3-4-11 and is assigned to Station No. 2.